2/25/2010

Then & Now

I started this blog late in January, 2009 - at the time because i just really liked the tracking bars on Give Me Back My Five Bucks.  I started reading Krystal's blog quite a bit, then started reading others - and before long, I had one of my own.

At the time, I had next to nothing in savings and had quite a bit of debt.  My networth was ($7,499):
  • $1,500 in cash
  • $1,870 in retirement
  • $2,000 - value of my car
  • ($9,658) - student loan debt
  • ($3,211) - credit card debt
Through all the ups and downs - one year later my networth is $4,155. It has increased by $11,654:
  • $5,949 in cash
  • $978 in company shares
  • $3,100 in retirement savings
  • $2,000 - value of my car
  • ($7,872) - student loan debt
My Story So Far

2009 commenced with fears of being laid off.  The first 8 months of 2009 was a very scary time.  I learned that I need to plan for unexpected expenses, that aren't really unexpected.  You supported me as a struggled for sooo long to pay off my credit card. You read as Jordan and i navigated combining our finances with the beginning of our joint house fund and later with a joint chequing account

I learnt how large of an impact $15/month can make.  I found a way to take a second job - without finding a new employer - when a started an overtime project at work.  As fears of lay off at work built, i created a budget based on EI benefits - and felt safer knowing that Jordan and I would get through whatever got thrown at us.  I started using Gails Magic Jars to knock some sense in my spending - and boy did that every help!

We've gone through roommate, after roommmate, after roommate, after roommate....

My horse, Starlight, moved to Calgary this summer - and that brought on some more unique challenges.  In efforts to find success, and to avoid more epic fails - in Mid August, i finally cut up my credit card and that's what really saved me from it's rampant use.

Jordan and I gardened, had date nights, and started planning and saving to buy my great aunt's home - and boy did we start planning for Christmas early.  We even learnt a lot about grocery shopping

In September, I became credit card debt free!

I got a raise in October - and we spent some heavy money in November (much to some readers disappointment) - but I hadn't lost my way.  We also negotiated a rent decrease in October and accomplished some serious savings.  Christmas went off without much of a hitch and I explored the true cost of Christmas Trees.

Early in 2010, you all helped Jordan with the first question he's asked in this forum - he loved reading the comments you left!   I actually bought shares and became a very small owner of the company I work for.

It's been an amazing journey so far - thank you!  Here are my top referrers, and some awesome bloggers - if you haven't read them already - i would highly suggest it.
  1.  Saving For Later
  2. Shaking The Money Tree
  3. Frugal Dreamer
  4. Gail Vaz-Oxlade
  5. Give Me Back My Five Bucks 
  6. Canadian Savings
  7. Girl Makes Cents
  8. Punch Debt in The Face
  9. The Asian Pear
  10. The Financial Catastrophizer

7 comments:

  1. What one year has a difference been for you! You and Jordan are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ The Asian Pear - Thanks!! It's pretty incredible to look back over a year and see what's been accomplished. Without this blog, i wouldn't have been able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic year you have had! So much accomplished. I hope you do this again next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Love reading these kinds of posts and how far people have come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a long road to have travelled. Congrats on making it as far as you have.

    regards,

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ young, Girl, eemusings & Canadian Savings

    Thank you so much for the kind words - it's been a great journey. So looking forward to making 2010 my total debt free year!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.

Links ♥

Followers