10/08/2014

Making Vino!

Stirring in the Chemicals
Back in April, on my Good News! post commenter Janette suggested that Jordan and I look into making wine as a way to help manage our spending on Alcohol without having to necessarily limit our consumption of it...well Janette - thank you!

For my 30th birthday back in July my mom and my husband went in together to buy a starter kit and the supplies along with a three hour course and I was up and on my way!  I've bottled my first kit, and have started on my second - a Reisling kit from Costco.

Bottling


So far it's been super fun!  We hit a garage sale and got more supplies so I could keep going and keep learning.  I want to start a third wine (another red) and then start to investigate beer making with Jordan!

I need to be careful not to spend too much $$ as I get started - but I think I now have everything I need to keep going (except of course a new wine kit which includes the juice and chemicals to make the wine).

2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for the mention! This has dramatically reduced our alcohol budget (although probably increased our consumption :/). I hope you enjoy it and have good luck! There is a bit of a cost outlay at first, but we spend about $50-$100/month now on booze (mainly kits) as opposed to the $300+ previously that would cause a little freak out after I added it up every month! We've been pretty pleased with the quality too, and now when we buy what used to be a regular bottle of wine for us (~$20) is a big occasion and a huge treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Janette! I'm glad you saw this, I wasn't sure if you would. We're looking forward to the budget shift and to just trying the fruits (ha-ha) of our labour!

      My local wine shop just carries the Wine Expert line - I would love to know your favorite kit brand(s)?

      I've also been hanging out a lot on a wine forum, and am thinking about trying out this recipe:
      http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/dangerdaves-dragon-blood-wine-41825/

      Delete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.

Links ♥

Followers