1/27/2016

Plantar Fasciitis

Thank goodness for health benefits!

I don't think I've shared this before, but I happen to have chronic planter fasciitis.   For those not familiar, it's when the ligament that connects your heel bone to your toes gets inflamed.  It's been ongoing for me for going on three years.

I've previously met with three different doctors, completed 6 months of physio, two rounds of cortisone injections in my heel (talk about painful), and custom orthotics.  All to no avail.

I've just started physio again, with a new practitioner and am amazed at the results.  After one session with her, I've had more progress than with any other method.

The pain is ridiculous, when I'm walking, sitting, pretty much doing anything my heel/arch ranges from light throbbing to stabbing.

While on maternity leave and before my termination is processed, I still have access to my benefits, so now is as good as time as any to see if we can make any headway with the pain.  My first assessment/treatment appointment was an hour and cost $90 - $60 was covered by my plan and $15 by Jordan's.  There's a $75 annual deductible for Jordan's plan, so now that it's covered, all of my subsequent visits ($60/30 minutes) will be paid for 100%.  Which is excellent because she wants to see me 2-3 times a week for a while.

The greatest part is I was able to submit both online, and within two days was already reimbursed.

So yay benefits, and yay new physiotherapist.

Oh!  For anyone interested, she used ultrasound and then taped my heal/ankle to receive pressure on the tendon and it was amazing!  I couldn't believe a few cents of medical tape releived so much pain AND that no one else has thought to try it.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a runner, and have suffered from pretty much every lower body injury you can imagine, including PF. It's a horrible, insidious pain in the butt. Taking a break from the running really helped, but I think the biggest thing that made a difference was constantly doing exercises that strengthen all the tiny muscles in your feet and lower legs. Get your physio to give you homework- it's well worth the effort! And good luck- it's an incredibly frustrating injury to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how simple (well it seems simple I'm sure there's a lot of science to where she placed it) solutions can have the biggest effects. I'm glad you found something that worked and that you can go to the appointments without worrying about what it'll do to your budget :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the voice of support! I try to do all the stretches but I need to do more.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.

Links ♥

Followers