4/18/2016

Wine Making


I haven't written about it a lot, but some of you may know that I've been making wine for a couple of years now. I took a bit of a hiatus while I was pregnant, but over the last month I've been getting back into the swing of things. I have two kits going - a Gewurztraminer and a Shiraz. The kits have everything I need in them except for bottles.

Those wines take a little while to age to get good - so while they are doing there thing I'm starting a third batch.

This quick drinker is called Dragon's Blood and is Danger Dave's of the winemaking talk forums evolution of Lon's Skeeter Pee. It's a fruit wine with a lemon back that is ready in 2-3 weeks start to finish. It peaks at three months old so making it now will mean it's ready just in time for summer!

You'll find a link to the forum and original recipe above if you're interested in the original. I'm making a Tropical Coconut Variation. It's heavy on the strawberry and has mango and peach along with lime and coconut.

If anyone's interested I'll share the recipe, but for now here is the cost breakdown:


You can see that the cost is under $3.50 a bottle!! If my town had a bulk store I could probably get it down to $2.50-$3.00 which is what the original blend cost me as frozen fruits the biggest expense second to the wine bottles themselves. 

I've included the bottles here - but am working on a bottle collection, soon, even that will be eliminated from the cost breakdown.



Including this fruit wine, I have about 90 bottles that I'm going to need, so it's probably time to take an inventory on that.



1 comment:

  1. I've never made wine, but my husband does make beer. He likes doing it, but doesn't save any money doing it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a message.

Links ♥

Followers